Position: Maternity Cover: Analyst, Investments Team
Contract: Fixed Term Contract – 9 months (December 2018 – August 2019)
Hours: Full time (37.5 hours per week)
Location: London based
Salary: £27,000 p.a. pro-rata
Reports to: Director of Investments
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 03/11/2018
ABOUT THE POWER OF NUTRITION
The Power of Nutrition is a UK-based charitable foundation formed by like-minded investors and implementers committed to ending the cycle of undernutrition and helping children grow to their full potential through new financing and focused action. Our vision is to be a leader in the global efforts to eradicate stunting.
Undernutrition is the underlying cause of 45% of all child mortality. In Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, nearly 4 in 10 children are growing up with stunted bodies and brains. Putting a stop to undernutrition is one of the best means we have to transform children’s health, education and livelihoods.
The Power of Nutrition is working to unlock $1 billion in new financing to transform children’s futures on a scale that few can achieve alone, including substantial co-financing at country level. The Power of Nutrition has a unique matching model in which it matches any dollar raised to make investments in support of national government nutrition programmes, further leveraging funding from implementing partners. The fund launched in April 2015 with support from the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, UBS Optimus Foundation and the UK’s Department for International Development and our first implementing agency partners includes the World Bank Group and UNICEF. In 2018, The Power of Nutrition is developing partnerships with international NGOs to complement its portfolio with the World Bank and UNICEF.
To date, The Power of Nutrition has raised $50 million and co-financed a $360 million of programmes in Tanzania, Liberia, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Cote D’Ivoire and Rwanda. The Power of Nutrition is building a healthy pipeline for future investments, including an increasing footprint in Asia.
The Analyst will join the team responsible for ensuring The Power of Nutrition Investments are achieving lasting change for children at scale. S/he will be responsible for:
- Supporting the development and management of a portfolio of investments
- Ensuring all The Power of Nutrition investments are underpinned by robust country analysis
- Ensuring programme successes and learning are effectively collated and disseminated
- Ensuring new implementing partners undergo robust due diligence and are effectively inducted into The Power of Nutrition Investment policies and processes
- Supporting the management of The Power of Nutrition’s Technical Advisory Panel and induction of new members.
Programme Development, Delivery and Portfolio Management
- Undertake thorough country analysis to inform new investments under consideration by The Power of Nutrition
- Undertake annual country analysis on active investments to inform robust portfolio management
- Conduct a global analysis on key emerging trends and impact evidence in the nutrition sector
- Support the due diligence and the preparation and submission of Board materials seeking the approval of the programme (currently under design) in Indonesia
- Support the programme design process of a new programme – likely in Malawi – including country due diligence, review and input into the Programme Document, and balancing different stakeholder expectations
- Undertake analysis of nutrition-specific and -sensitive focus/interest of investors in the advanced pipeline state to inform The Power of Nutrition strategy for new investments
- Manage Expression of Interest / bidding process for selection of implementing partners for new programmes
- Update The Power of Nutrition Eligible Country List
- Under the supervision of the Senior Nutrition Specialist, develop new products for The Power of Nutrition (e.g. Nutrition Index)
- Assist the Director and other technical specialists as and when required
- Collate data and impact evidence in short briefs to support colleagues in Partnership & Brands in presentations to prospective donors
- Support colleagues in Partnerships & Brands with donor relationship management
Reporting & Communication
- Collate data and impact evidence in short briefs to support Communications Director with dissemination of successes from The Power of Nutrition Investments
- Simplify content from bi-annual investments reporting to facilitate effective communication in bi-annual reporting to The Power of Nutrition donors and Board
- Co-author blogs, papers, etc., to influence regional and global policy and practice.
- Act as focal point for Communications Director for maintenance of website from Investments Team perspective
- Update The Power of Nutrition’s International Aid Transparency Initiative reporting on regular basis
- Support regular and ad hoc submissions to the Board of Trustees
- Develop professional and effective communications materials to support meetings with different partners, presenting accurate and technical information in a concise and digestible format
Working with Implementing Partners
- Support the Director of Investments in:
- Conducting due diligence on new implementing partners
- Ensuring new implementing partners are effectively inducted into The Power of Nutrition and have a sound understanding of key investment policies, strategies and guidance documents
- Developing Board Papers to justify selection of new partners
- Ensure that legal documentation underpins new partnerships, and support negotiation between different stakeholders where applicable
Sector knowledge and profile-building
- Keep abreast of developments within the nutrition sector and update colleagues as appropriate
- Represent The Power of Nutrition in public fora (as appropriate) and raise the profile of the organisation.
Membership of the team
- Comfortable working flexibly and effectively in a focused team structure
- Commit to continuing the advancement of The Power of Nutrition brand, messaging and communications
- Masters’ degree or equivalent level of academic and professional experience in nutrition, health science, public health and international relations/development
- Knowledge, experience of the development sector, INGOs and Foundations
- Strong independent research and analytical skills and an ability to apply strong problem-solving frameworks to issues.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal – with a proven ability to taper style for both technically literate and non-technical audiences.
- Strong relationship building and relationship management abilities
- A strong interest in building a career in the international development sector
- An ability to work in French will be an asset
Based in London, this position might involve travel.
Please apply with CV and Cover Letter: firstname.lastname@example.org